Competition eligibility criteria
The right to participate in the competition as an author has one or more professionals with a university degree in architecture, regardless of their territorial affiliation and their personal characteristics, provided that at least one of the authors of the competition has the appropriate license to prepare technical documents in the field of architecture. Other authors in the team can be architects, urban planners, graduate engineers of architecture, masters of architecture or students of architecture.
The participants in the competition can hire other experts in certain fields (associates and consultants) for the preparation of the competition design, but they are not considered the authors of the competition design. Each of the participants, individual or group, is entitled to participate in this Competition with only one design.
Persons who participated in the preparation of one of the competition designs of this Competition as associates or consultants may not submit the competition design independently.
Foreign participants can be authors or members of author teams if they meet professional qualifications, have a university degree in architecture, provided that at least one team member has an appropriate license issued in accordance with the rules set by the Serbian Chamber of Engineers and in accordance with Article 162a of the Law on Amendments to the Law on Planning and Construction (“Official Gazette of RS”, No. 9/2020)
Competition participant may not be person who is directly engaged in preparation and conducting of Competition or jurying, or is relative or directly cooperate with such person, nor it can be person who is member of management or is employed with the institution who announced this competition.
Each of the participants in the competition, whether an individual or a group, has the right to participate in this competition with only one design and within only one team.
Mandatory conditions for participation at the competition:
Competition design must be submitted in timely manner and in a way stipulated by the Competition Announcement.
- Competition design must follow all the requirements of technical and layout formatting and must contain all parts determined by the Competition Announcement.
Terms for conducting the competition
The competition is announced in accordance with the Rulebook on the manner and method of opening up and conduction of the urbanistic and architectural competition ("Official Gazette of RS" No. 31/2015).
Each competitor who has taken the tender documents is granted the right to take part in competition.
By submitting an entry to competition, each participant accepts the propositions of this competition.
Contents of the competition assignment
Participants are required to submit the competition design in electronic form, and detailed instructions for naming documents and how to mark competition entries are given in Chapter 9.4.
All files are submitted in pdf format, and text attachments of the notebook in doc format.
Competition designs not prepared and submitted in accordance with these guidelines may be disqualified from further evaluation.
The content of the competition design includes:
1. Volume with textual explanation and graphic attachments
2. Graphic attachments
3. 3D animation
4. Material for electronic exhibition
Competition design and all accompanying enclosures must be prepared in Serbian or English.
The level of elaboration of the proposed conceptual architectural solution should be at such a level that it can be applied in the next stages of elaboration of technical documentation.
All participants are required to submit the following documents as part of the competition assignment:
Volume with textual explanation and reduced graphic attachments
The volume is submitted in .pdf format, dimensions 42x29.7cm (A3, horizontally oriented pages (and),
with illustrations in 150 dpi resolution.)
The volume should contain:
Textual part that describes the architectural urban concept and explains the solution.
The content of the text is as follows:
- Presentation of the urban solution, relation towards the environment
- Concept of traffic solution, car, bicycle and pedestrian access to the building
- Description and explanation of the solution - architectural concept
- Functional layout; Description of individual spatial units and functional interconnections
- Integration of key acoustic requirements (integration of technical concepts, insulation requirements, etc.)
- Preliminary proposal of applied technical systems, including the concept of energy efficiency
- Description of applied building materials bearing in mind the CO2 footprint
- Proposed constructive solution
- Ecological concept
- The textual description can be supplemented with diagrams and charts that explain certain elements of the competition solution.
- All graphic attachments reduced to A3 format
- Table 1 Tabular presentation of realized areas with recapitulation by spatial-programme units, as well as recapitulation of urban parameters of table no.1 (provided in the appendices)
- Table 2 Realized urban parameters table no.2 (provided in the appendices)
- Table 3 Estimation of investment value of table no.3 (provided in the appendices)
Competition area in the context of wider and direct surrounding area
- Layout of planned construction and design - roof Р=1:1000
- Layout of planned construction and design - ground floor Р=1:500
- Layout of the roof with regulation and leveling elements Р=1:250
- Layout of the ground floor with ground floor design Р=1:250
- All the floor plans Р=1:250
- Characteristic cross-sections Р=1:250
- All the elevations Р=1:250
- 3D views of the solution from given directions and as selected by competitors
* Additional attachments of the participants' choice, photos of the model, spatial diagrams, etc.
3D ANIMATION with duration up to 1 minute
Graphic attachments are submitted as files in .pdf format, dimensions 42x29.7cm (A3), horizontally oriented (landscape), in a resolution of 150 PPI.
The level of elaboration of the proposed conceptual architectural solution should be at such a level that it can be applied in the next stages of elaboration of technical documentation (Preliminary Design According to Location Requirements)
Material for electronic exhibition
In .jpg format, a total of 5 attachments, 2000px-width-horizontally oriented in the RGB system, in a resolution of 150 PPI. The design code should be indicated on each attachment. These attachments shall also be anonymous with a unique code, defined in Chapter 9.4.
These attachments shall also be anonymous with a unique code, defined in Chapter 9.4.
All material shall be delivered in a zip folder up to 25MB.
All above elements and attachments to the competition elaborate, textual and graphic attachments with described content, represent mandatory parts of competition design. The works that do not contain the above described and required elements and attachments shall not be taken into consideration.
Method of technical and design processing of the competition assignment
All graphic attachments, each sheet in the volume and posters should be marked with a unique code in the upper right corner of each sheet (Arial font, Bold, size 50pt for graphic attachments, or 24pt for the volume). The unique code must consist of two letters and five Arabic numerals, selected by the author. The sheets should be numerated with an ordinal number in the lower right corner. The font of the texts in the volume is Arial, size 11pt. The language of the competition is Serbian or English.
The competition design is submitted as follows:
in a packed/compressed folder (electronic .zip file, not bigger than 25 MB), named exclusively by the selected code of five Arabic numerals and two letters (eg.: AB12345).
If the content of the competition design is bigger than 25MB, it is possible to form another compressed folder, which should be named with the ordinal number below the selected code, for example: AB12345_1 and AB12345_2.
Packed ("zipped") folder(s), not larger than 25 MB, should contain:
- Volume with textual explanation and graphic attachments, dimensions 42x29.7cm (A3), defined in Chapter 9.3 paragraph 1 in .pdf format
- Graphic attachments, defined in chapter 9.3. under 2., in .pdf format
- Material for electronic exhibition, defined in chapter 9.3. paragraph 3, in .jpg format
- A special packed (“zipped”) folder, not larger than 25 MB, is delivered separately with the designation of the selected code with the addition of the word “animation” (e.g. "AB12345_animation") and should contain: 3D ANIMATION with duration up to 1 minute
The participant in the competition submits the competition work electronically, following the link: https://konkurs-fmu.rs/;
The final deadline for submitting competition designs is January 24, 2022 until 23:59 (GMT +1).
The competition design which is not received by the announcer within determined deadline, i.e. received after the expiry of date and hour determined for submitting designs, shall be deemed as untimely submitted and will not be taken into consideration. Each participant is allowed to submit only one competition design without variant solutions. After the deadline for submission of competition designs, the participant in the competition cannot withdraw or change the competition design.
The technical design of the competition study according to the above description and the requirement and dimension is the mandatory content of the competition design. The works that do not contain the above described and required elements and attachments shall not be taken into consideration.
All files must be virus-free and undamaged without marks that would violate the anonymity of participants.
The author’s envelope - Contents of the competitors’ statement
Along with the electronic submission of the competition design, the participant is obliged to send by mail a sealed non-transparent envelope marked “AUTHOR” and marked on the back with the selected work code of two letters and five Arabic numerals, font Arial, Bold, 24pt. The envelope should be sent to the following address: Удружење архитеката Србије, Кнеза Милоша 7а/III, 11 000 Београд, Република Србија (Union of Architects of Serbia, Kneza Miloša 7/III, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia). The author's name should not be written on the envelope, so as not to violate anonymity.
The envelope should contain:
Text document in A4 format containing:
- A selected code of five Arabic numerals and two letters;
- Name(s) of author(s) with signatures;
- Declaration of acceptance of the terms of the competition;
- Name and surname of the person authorized for representing (may or may not be one of the authors);
- E-mail for delivery of Jury’s Decision,
- Address and contact telephone;
- Statement in which the author or team of authors declare whether they want their project to be publicly exhibited under the code (anonymously) or under the author’s name.
- Statement in which the author or team of authors declare the modality of prize distribution in percent, with details and instructions required for payment to all indicated persons.
- Printed one poster for electronic exhibition, reduced to dimensions 29.7x 21cm (A4), horizontally oriented (any of 5 posters for electronic exhibition, reduced to A4)
The deadline for sending the envelope is January 24, 2022 until 23:59 (GMT +1).
Ensuring anonymity when sending the envelope “AUTHOR” by mail, can be achieved in the following way:
- by sending the ordinary mail without a return receipt with the appropriate number of postage stamps (depending on the country of the sender);
- by opening a PO box for receiving return receipts;
- by sending via express mail service (DHL, Fed Ex,…) with a note for anonymous sending (envelope “AUTHOR” inside the envelope for sending, which does not contain indication of the AUTHOR code).
- Beginning of the competition / date of announcement 15. 09. 2021.
- The Competition Documentation can be downloaded free of charge from the website of the Association of Serbian Architects:
- u-a-s.rs or from the link: https://konkurs-fmu.rs/;
Participants may submit their questions regarding the competition at latest until 01.12.2021.
- Questions and requests for additional information or clarifications are submitted exclusively through the official website: https://konkurs-fmu.rs/;
- The answers of the jury to the questions asked, exclusively to the questions related to the announcement and the programme of the competition, will be published on the official website of the Competition by 16.12.2021.
- The final deadline for submitting competition designs is January 24, 2022 until 23:59 (GMT +1).
- The results of the competition shall be announced no later than February 22, 2022 until 23:59 (GMT +1).
- The results will be published on the website of the Association of Serbian Architects: u-a-s.rs and on https://konkurs-fmu.rs/;
- Awarded and unawarded designs will be posted in electronic format on the website of the Association of Serbian Architects u-a-s.rs and on https://konkurs-fmu.rs/; within 30 days from the day of announcing the results of the Competition. Basic information (code of the work, award, name (s) of the authors will be published besides all the works, unless otherwise specified in the application for the Competition.
Type and amount of awards
If at least 10 design concepts are received until the defined deadline and if these design concepts meet the requirements
of the competition, the following prizes will be awarded in total amount of net fund for awards of USD 56,000.00
distributed in the following manner:
- First Prize USD 28,000.00
- Second prize USD 14,000.00
- Third prize USD 7,000.00
- Two redemptions, each in the amount of USD 3,500.00
Total fund of net prizes: USD 56,000.00
* Note: awards and redemptions in the net amount are paid at the USD exchange rate
UN Operational Rates of Exchange (UNORE), on the day of payment to authors/author teams.
The Jury will distribute the prizes completely in accordance with the provisions of the Rulebook, however the Jury may distribute the prizes in a different manner within the planned award fund.
The Investor undertakes to make payments for the selected and awarded design concepts in line with the decision of the Jury, and pursuant to the Tender documentation - by means of an announcement to be made within 45 days from the day the Investor acknowledges the Decision of the Jury.
Composition of the Jury
Chairman of the Jury:
Prof. Milan Đurić, architect
Prof. Vasa Perović, architect
Prof. Dejan Miletić, architect
Marko Stojčić, architect, the Chief Urban Planner of the City of Belgrade
Prof. Milena Stanišić D.A., representative of FMA
Acoustics Consultant: Prof. Miomir Mijić Ph.D.
Sandra Skenderija, architect
Sonja Dedić, architect
Union of Architects of Serbia
Evaluation of designs - evaluation criteria
Competition designs will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
Spatial concept and architectural expression
As a solution, it fulfills the goal of creating an internationally important higher education institution. The way how the proposed solution relates to context, identity creation and relationship to Line Park and the immediate environment.
Relation to public urban space
The quality of the solution in relation to the characteristics and importance of the purpose,
Clear spatial concept recognisable for its main idea
Character and quality of urban identity improvement
Functional solution, fulfillment of spatial requirements stipulated in the programme assignment
Strategy and approach to spatial and ambient requirements of the facility in terms of flexibility and spatial programming. Analysis and solution of the concept for the use and maintenance of the facility including access, movement of students, teachers, visitors, instruments and vehicles.
Spatial distribution of intended use and contents, functionality of proposed solution
Urban-architectural and spatial shaping and ambient characteristics of the solution,
Relation with the context, architectural and cultural heritage
Sustainability, Energy Efficiency
How the characteristics of proposed solution relate to environmental and social sustainability and its compliance with the goals of sustainable development. How the building design relates to energy efficiency and efficient operations during operation. In which way it deals with the goals of sustainable development.
Cost-effectiveness of the solution when it comes to implementation and exploitation
Application of environmentally and energy sustainable solutions for preserving and improving environmental quality (eco-design implementation)
Integration of acoustic / technical concepts
Compliance with acoustic requirements, including appropriate integration of proposed structural and technical concepts and proposed spatial solution.
Potential for further project implementation
technical and financial feasibility of the proposed solution
The jury submits a Report on its work, which contains an explanation for the selection of awarded and redeemed designs and a decision on the distribution of awards, as well as guidelines for further elaboration of the first-awarded competition design.
The author of the competition design is the participant who created the competition design and thus
published the author's work under his own name by submitting it to the competition. The team of the authors consists of the signatories of design concepts, co-authors and, therefore, the holders of all common copyrights. The participants' copyrights are defined in accordance with the law governing copyright and other related rights.
By submitting the competition design, authors (team of authors) assign and transfer all property rights of an author to the Investor in case that subject Design Concept is awarded or purchased. By participating in the competition, the author(s) agree to act in accordance with the conclusions and recommendations of the Competition Jury, which will be stated in the Competition Jury Report regarding the further realization of the awarded design. The author accepts to act, in further elaboration, in accordance with the suggestions of the Jury and potential programme and technical changes of the project assignment and adjusts the solution for the needs of further phases of elaboration.
During further elaboration, the Investor shall consult the authors of the awarded design, which is selected for further elaboration. The author is obliged to respect the conditions of preparation of planning and technical documentation and implementation of changes necessary to adapt to spatial and technical possibilities and limitations that may arise. Any potential further cooperation between the Investor and the author team will be regulated by a special agreement.
Further elaboration of the project is carried out in accordance with the Law on Planning and Construction ("Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia", No. 72/09, 81/09, 64/10 - Decision the Constitutional Court, 24/11, 121/12, 42/13 - Decision of the Constitutional Court, 50/13 - US Decision, 98/13 - US Decision, 132/14, 145/14, 83/18, 31/19, 37/19-other law, 9/20 and 52/2021),
Regulations on the Content, Method and Procedure of Work and Control of Technical Documentation according to the Structures’ Class and Purpose („Official Gazette of RS“, no. 73/2019)
Authors reserve the right to publish their design concepts.
The Investor is entitled to use all the received design concepts, to publish them and to promote results of the competition.
ENCLOSURES FROM THE PROGRAMME - THE BASIC AND ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION
I GRAPHICAL DIGITAL DATA
01 Cadastral and topographic plan
02 Basemap for enclosures - plans in scale 1:1000, 1:500, 1:250
03 Orthophoto image with the boundaries of the competition area and the positions of the set directions for installation
II INSERTS FROM PLANNING DOCUMENTS
01 Excerpt from Detailed Regulation Plan for the Linear Park - Belgrade, City Municipalities of Stari grad and Palilula
02 Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia – Conditions of Preservation, Maintenance and Use of Cultural Assets and Assets Enjoying the Status of Previous Protection and Protection Measures for the Detailed Regulation Plan for the Linear Park
03 Geological and geotechnical documentation from Detailed Regulation Plan
04 Separate - Preliminary Design of the residential and business complex Marina Dorćol
Excerpt from contact planning documents
05 Detailed Regulation Plan for roads: Dunavska street, Tadeuška Košćuška street, Dubrovačka street, the trolleybus and bus terminal Dorćol, Stari grad Municipality (Official Journal no. 69/13).
06 Trolleybus and bus terminal design - Layout plan
01 Location photographs - current status
02 Historical photographs
Table 1 Tabular presentation of realized areas with recapitulation by spatial-programme units
Table 2 Achieved urban parameters
Table 3 Investment value estimate
In Belgrade, 15.09.2021
The jury consists of:
Chairman of the Jury:
Prof. Milan Đurić, architect
Prof. Vasa Perović, architect
Prof. Dejan Miletić, architect
Marko Stojčić, architect
Prof. Milena Stanišić D.A.
Prof. Miomir Mijić Ph.D.